MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH
Mount St. Joseph is located on Bannerghatta Road, near Meenakshi Temple/Mall, Bangalore 560076.
Mount St. Joseph is a Jesuit house of formation of Karnataka Province, established in the year 1959. Its beautiful campus is a place of peace and quiet, filled with a variety of trees, orchards, flowers and lush greenery. It is located far away from the madding crowds and the noise of the city.
The vast campus of Mount St. Joseph holds the Jesuit Novitiate House, the Dhyanashrama retreat house, Prerana, anIgnatian Spirituality Centre that caters to both religious and lay people; Loyola Higher Primary School, Loyola High School & P.U. College, Loyola ITI (a Government approved technical institute); Loyola Driving Training School, and a Parish Church dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in Kalena Agrahara.
Dhyanashrama is housed in the main building of Mount St. Joseph. It conducts Ignatian-directed retreats of six, eight and thirty days throughout the year. For more details, Please Contact: The Director, Dhyanashrama (Mount St. Joseph), Tel: Call us to reception: +91 6362162423 Ph: +91 8073873245 (Director) Email: Website:
Prerana is a venture of the Karnataka Jesuit Province, begun in the year 2007, to respond to the on-going Renewal & Formation needs of religious and laity, conducting courses in Ignatian Spirituality, Counselling, Spiritual Direction, Discernment of Spirits, etc. For more details on courses, Please Contact: The Director, Prerana (Mount St. Joseph), Tel: 080-26485778/25979499, Cell: 09972137656. Email: , Website:
Loyola ITI is a Government Approved technical institute. It started in June 1993. There are currently 128 students and 15 staff members. Formal courses available are: Electronic Mechanic, Fitter, and Motor Vehicle Mechanic. There are non-formal courses for school drop outs or those who do not meet eligibility requirements for admission to formal courses, in Auto Electrician, Computer Application, Computer Hardware, Plumbing, Electrical Wiring, Welding, Fitter, Automobile Mechanic, Radio, TV, Mobile Phone repair/servicing.
Loyola Schools provide quality education from Kindergarten to P.U.C. There are over 1530 students on the campus. The medium of instruction is Kannada; however, recently they have started English medium classes from 6th Standard onwards. They are now planning to have a full-fledged degree college. For more information on schools, Please Contact: Principal, Loyola High School & P.U. College.
The Parish Church is dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Karnataka Jesuit Province is consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Mount St. Joseph community is actively involved in the parish activities and Parish apostolate.
Mount St. Joseph is a mother house of hundreds of Jesuits who are serving Christ in various fields in several parts of the world.
Rector, Mount St. Joseph,
IIMB Post, Bannerghatta Road,
Bangalore - 560076.
HOLY TRINITY ASHRAM
The Holy Trinity Ashram is located on Kothanur Dinne Road, (next to Loyola P.U. College and behind the Maitreya Campus), Bangalore 560076.
The Holy Trinity Ashram in our Parish is the Study House/Formation center of Trinitarian Fathers (O.SS.T), which is also known as the Order of the Most Holy Trinity and of the Captives. This Order was founded by St. John De Matha and his companion St. Felix of Valois, in the year 1198, in France. The objective of this Order is to Give Glory to the Trinity, Freedom to the Captives and do the work of Mercy.
The Trinitarian Fathers came to India in 1986 and stared a seminary in Trichur, Kerala. They have a minor seminary in Aranattukara, and a Novitiate House in Kasargod, Kerala. They have a total of five houses in India.
In 1995, the Trinitarians came to Bangalore and set up their Ashram at the above location. Though their seminarians are busy in studies in Philosophy and Theology in the nearby colleges, they are involved in Village Ministry, visiting houses of poor people, Tailoring Classes for girls, Tuition Center for students, youth activities, etc. They have started a house in Shimoga District in Karnataka, to do agriculture/farming. Besides doing their own farming, they help the local farmers, and help the local parish in pastoral work.
Recently, the Trinitarian Fathers have started a Mission House in Guwahati, Assam. They have a school and handle a parish in that area.
Superior, Trinity Ashram
Phone N0.: +91 80 26586288
Bannerghatta Road – KothannurDinne Cross Road Next to Loyola P.U. College, Bangalore 560076
Maitreya, is an Eco Spiritual Centrerun by the Sisters of the Holy Cross, Central Indian Province, Bangalore. It is located next to Loyola P.U. College on Kothannur Dinne Cross Road, off-Bannerghatta Road. It is relatively a new center established in 2010, to create awareness among all people, irrespective of their religion, on the need to preserve nature and ecology. At Maitreya, they conduct/facilitate seminars, workshops, video presentations, etc. on ecology and peoples’ responsibility towards nature and preservation of natural resources.
The Sisters of the Holy Cross, Menzingen, used to have their Provincialate in our parish,in the same building, until January 2010, when they moved their Provincialate to their new location at Medico Social Centre, near St. Anthony’s Friary at Madivala, Bangalore.
The Sisters of the Holy Cross, Central Indian Province, are spread in 5 States, i.e. Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Jharkhand and Orissa. They provide service to poor and downtrodden in a number of ways. To cite a few of their services in Karnataka, they have a Rural Community College, a School of Nursing, a full-fledged hospital, a residential Care Centre (Asha Deepa) for the mentally challenged girls, a JeevodayAshram (Prison Ministry) to rehabilitate women released from the prison, a cell for Anti-Human Trafficking to rescue and rehabilitate girls who got trapped in human trafficking, Boarding and Hostels for the poor children from the remote villages to pursue studies.
Maitreyais housed in a beautiful gothic building, with well equipped conference hall, class rooms, audio/video equipment, comfortable rooms for overnight stay, huge dining hall, a Chapel for worship, a Cave for personal meditation, a big garden/yard to walk and open space to sit and relax. It is available for corporate meetings or individual bookings. Parishioners or their corporations interested to make use of this facility may approach them at the following number.
Phone No: 080-26583034
Kalena Agrahara, Bannerghatta Road, Mount St. Joseph P.O. Bangalore 560 076.
The Alverna Sisters of our parish, belong to the Franciscan order and are known as Regular Franciscan Tertiary Sisters (or Sisters of Franciscan Third Order of St. Francis of Assisi). Their origin is in Florence, Italy. They are now active in Italy, Brazil, Tanzania, and India. These Sister of Franciscan Third Order, came to India in 1976 and started their first house in Kottayam District of Kerala. In India, besides Kerala, they now have their convents in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and Punjab. In Karnataka, their Bangalore Mission started in 1984, at the above location. Here they have their Provincial House called Alverna Bhavan, a Novitiate House called Immaculate Novitiate House, a Children’s Home called Bala Yesu Bhavan, and a Home for Destitute Women called Lourdes Home. In India, they have only one provincialate, which is called All Saints Province, in Bangalore, Karnataka. The Franciscan Sisters dedicate themselves to the service of the poor in various forms of work of mercy. They participate in the moral, intellectual and religious education of children and youth, provide assistance to the sick and the elderly, take care of the orphan and destitute, provide safe home for unwed mothers and their children, and actively do pastoral work in the parish.
At Bala Yesu Bhavan (children’s home), they have 40 girls, who are either orphans or come from very poor families. The sisters provide these children with free education, food, lodging, clothing and medical treatment in case of sickness. At Lourdes Home for destitute women, they have 17 women who are homeless, sick and old. The sisters look after these destitute women with love and care and provide them with free food, accommodation, clothing and medicine
Phone No.: 080-26583086.
CONVENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
The Convent of the Holy Spirit is located on Bannerghatta Road, (KothanurDinne Side Road), near Meenakshi Temple, Bangalore 560 076.
The Holy Spirit Sisters are known as Servants of the Holy Spirit (SSpS). This Order was founded by St. Arnold Janssen in the year 1889, in Steyl, Netherlands. He is also the founder of the Society of the Divine Word (SVD Fathers), and Holy Spirit Sisters of Perpetual Adoration (SSpS-AP). SVD Fathers came to India in 1932 and the SSpS Sisters came to India in 1933, and started their first Mission in Indore, M.P.
SSpS Sisters came to Bangalore in 1969, and started their Provincial office and Novitiate/Formation house in the present location. This is now their headquarters of India South Province. Here, they have a Children’s Home for girls, a Home for Senior Citizens, a Novitiate House, a Homeopathic Clinic, and Holy Spirit Educational Institutions. The India South Provincialate is in charge of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telengana, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Maharashtra.
In Karnataka State SSpS Sisters have their presence in Periya Patnam (near Mysuru), Shikaripura, Gulbarga, Bidar, and Udupi District (Pernal and Pambur).
The primary goal of formation house is to help the young girls to know Jesus, deepen their faith and assimilate them in the religious order. SSpS convent has groups of novices and aspirants who hail from different states, culture and languages, who live together as one faith community. This House functions as a Mother House for Holy Spirit Sisters who are now serving the humanity and our Lord all over the world.
Holy Spirit Children’s Home:
This house was established in 2006 to educate under privileged and street girls and develop them into responsible members of the society. There are currently 40 girls in this house, studying from 1to 10th standard. They are provided free accommodation, food, clothing, medical aid and English medium education.
Holy Spirit Educational Institutions (English Medium):
The schools have classes from Pre-Primary to P.U. College level and have both ICSE and Karnataka State Board (SSLC) streams. The Schools are having a huge campus with beautiful buildings and outdoor playground. The P.U. College has Commerce-EABC, Science-PCMB and PCMC sections, fully equipped with computer lab/science lab and other facilities. The students, besides getting quality academic education, are provided all round education, i.e. Dance, Music, Karate, Band, Theatre, summer camps, etc. The schools also provide quality Counselling and Career Guidance service to its students. Currently there are over 1300 students studying in the Holy Spirit Educational Institutions. For more details, Please Contact: Principal, Tel: 080-26493037/26493080 email: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com Website: http://www.holyspiritedu.com
Holy Spirit Homeopathy Clinic:
This clinic is headed by a qualified homeopathic doctor (Sr. Mercy) who graduated in Homeopathic System of Medicine from Fr. Muller’s Medical College, Mangalore. The ailments that are successfully treated with this system are: arthritis, skin diseases, digestive problems, menstrual and menopausal complaints and children’s illnesses. The clinic is open on all week days (except Sunday) and parishioners requiring appointments can Contact Tel: 9980682901/ 8867895055.
Holy Spirit Home for Senior Citizens:
This home, which was established in 2006, is a “Home away from Home” for elderly people who would like to live comfortably in the absence of their dear ones who are not around to take care of them. Women above 60 and men above 70 years of age are admitted to this home, subject to availability of rooms and meeting the ground rules. The home is located in a serene atmosphere, in a well- planned structure, with beautiful gardens and place to walk around and a chapel with daily mass.
For more details,
Phone No: 080-26484077.
HOLY MARY’S CONVENT
Bannerghatta Road, Next To: Holy Spirit School, Bangalore 560076
Holy Mary’s Convent, located at the above address, belongs to the Congregation of the Sisters Servants of Our Lady of Sorrows. This congregation was founded in Florence, Italy, in the year 1854, by a group of Tertiaries of the Order of the Servants of Mary. They lived together as a community under the guidance of Mother Giuliana Signorini who became the foundress of the Congregation. The congregation’s apostolic services were extended to Chile in 1938, to Columbia in 1973, to India in 1988, and to Hungary in 1996.
In India, the Sisters Servants of our Lady of Sorrows, are present in the state of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Their main apostolic activity is teaching. In Kerala, they havea schoolup to PUC level in Kochi, and a Holy Mary College for boys and girls, from 11th standard to degree level, in Kumbalam. In Tamil Nadu, they have a convent at Anna Nagar, Chennai, where they look after differently abled/mentally challenged children, and in Tanjavur they have an Orphanage and Novitiate House.
In Karnataka, they opened this Study House in the year 2000 in Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore,and named it Holy Mary’s Convent (Study House). It was blessed and inaugurated by Archbishop of Bangalore, Rt. Rev. Dr. Ignatius Pinto.
The purpose of this Study Houseis to provide accommodation for religious sisters, who come from other places to Bangalore, to pursue studies in professional and theological subjects. The Study House has quality accommodation, computer facility, a chapel with daily mass, and a safe and quiet environment.
Subject to availability of space, girl students who come to Bangalore from other places for higher studies, can be provided hostel facilities at this study house.
Holy Mary’s Convent Study House
Phone No: +91 80-26584957
Bannerghatta Road, KalenaAgrahara, S.O.S. Post, Bangalore 560076.
Nirmal Jyothi Technical Institute, located next to our parish church, is one of the well-known technical institutes for women in Bangalore, run by the Selesian Sisters of Don Bosco. They are also known as Daughters of Mary Help of Christians (FMA).
These Sisters have their Provincial House in Avalahalli, near Hoskote, Bangalore. Besides Nirmal Jyothi Technical Institute, they have five houses in Bangalore. One ICSE School, a Residential Centre for Young girls, a centre for Social Work, a Novitiate House, all in Avalahalli, and a Foster Home for Children at Risk at Chamrajpet. In Karnataka they also have their convents in Hassan and Maradyur (Coorg). In all, this Province has got 33 Houses/Institutes in four states - Karnataka, Kerala, Telangana and Andhra Pradhesh.
The Nirmal Jyothi Technical Institute is an ITI, affiliated to National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT). This Institute is exclusively for young girls and offers the following diploma courses:
Communicative English Cum Graphic Designs (One year)
Communicative English (Three Months)
Medical Transcription (One year)
Modern Secretarial Practice (One year)
Garment Designing (Three Months)
Beauty and Wellness (Three Months)
Electronic Mechanics (4 Semesters)
CAD (Computer Aided Designing) (Three Months)
Fashion Designing (One Year)
Nirmal Jyothi Institute also conducts a freetraining course in Tally for three months, with 100% job placement. The Sisters also provide free evening coaching classes for Kannada Medium students in standards 1 to 9 (both boys and girls), from 5.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
The Nirmal Jyothi Institute also provides residential facility for girl students. The main objective is to educate young girls in a family atmosphere in order to prepare them intellectually enlightened, spiritually profound, emotionally balanced, socially committed morally responsible and technically employable. Thus young girls can play competent, critical and creative role in the Church and in the Society.
For further details,
Phone No.: 080-26584132, 9591325931
DON BOSCO RENEWAL CENTRE
The Don Bosco Renewal Centre (formerly known as Don Bosco YuvaPrachodini) is located on Bannerghatta Road, (on the side road of Kothanur Road), next to the Holy Spirit Convent, opposite Loyola Primary School, Bangalore 560076.
The Don Bosco Renewal Centre is an International Training Centre of the Salesians of Don Bosco (S.D.B.), offering courses in Renewal and on-going Formation and Professional Development Programs for priests, religious and laity.
The Don Bosco Renewal Centre at our parish has been in existence since 1990, and it celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 2015. The DBRC’s main objective is the formation of strong minds and spirits, updated training, strengthening of ministry practices and exploration of new avenues of thought and action, hoping to make a significant and constructive contribution to the Church.
The DBRC has a well-qualified and experienced resident as well as Guest faculty. It has a huge building with class rooms/conference room, audio-visual facility, 6000 volume library with a well-furnished reading room. The course attendees are provided a warm and joyful atmosphere, accommodation, food and other amenities highly rated by participants.
Currently there are 18 courses offered at this Centre, ranging from one week to 12 weeks. For more details, contact: Program Director, Don Bosco Renewal Centre, SOS Post, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore 560076.
Contact Person -
Don Bosco Renewal Centre
Phone No.: 080-26584115, 26593522
Our parish community has a youth association in order to help themselves in making their faith life vibrant and active. The youth come from different cultures, languages, regions of India. They actively participate in liturgical and other activities of the parish.
ABOUT OUR CHURCH
In 1959 Mount St Joseph, the new novitiate of the Karnataka Jesuits was inaugurated in KalenaAgrahra, on Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore. Living next door to MSJ was a village of 300 souls, of whom only 60 were Catholics. They were said to be the descendants of a single progenitor who settle down here form Chikkakammanahalli. They used to go to chikkakammanahalli for mass through ragi fields and it was very difficult in rainy season.
In the face of Corona virus threat the parish community is advised to take precautionary measures. We have communicated already through our social media. In view of the current prevailing situation we are trying our level best to provide you liturgical services through streaming. Keep yourself abreast with messages on this platform.